Milk is an award winning, independent visual effects studio based in London (and remotely) and has ambitious and exciting plans to grow its business.
This is an exciting opportunity to join Milk reporting to the Head of 3D. Working closely with teammates you will rig everything from creatures and characters to hard surface models and assets to create the motions for high-end television and film.
- Working closely with the Head of 3D, Head of Animation, Modelling Leads and the CG Supervisor to produce high-quality animation rigs and deformation muscle, fat and skin rigs.
- Create rigs using in-house tool and refine them according to animation and lighting needs
- Prototype, implement and refine puppet (skeleton), cloth (deformer based) or mechanical rigs
- Troubleshoot and fix rig issues, collect artistic feedback and fine tune rig behaviour
- Become a proficient user and contributor of the extensive rigging tool-set
- Create simple tools to help animation workflow and rig interaction
- Work within the pipeline and rigging standards
- Meet delivery deadlines under production constraints.
- Ongoing communication with Production and Lead regarding schedules and deadlines.
- Working efficiently as part of a team, or independently, to complete assigned shots.
- Submitting shots for review and follow through with notes and feedback if required.
- Rigging experience in a Maya production environment, with a proficient knowledge of Maya’s rigging techniques, including the ability of creating customised rigs;
- Thorough knowledge of mel and Python
- Knowledge of FEM muscle and skin simulation in particular Ziva Dynamics
- Attention to detail
- Ability to write technical documentation and present your work
- Extensive professional knowledge of Maya is essential
- Knowledge of human and animal anatomy as well as life drawing skills
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Reliable, ability to deliver on schedule, working calmly and efficiently under pressure;
- Solid understanding of the production pipelines;
- Excellent problem-solver, communicator and team player;
- Willingness to take direction and be willing to address constructive feedback;
- An understanding of physical motion, weight, balance, texture and form.
- A thorough knowledge and demonstrated experience of building rigs and typical rigging set-ups, animation pipelines and transferring data between tools.
- Being open to direction and able to embrace change.
- A demonstrable commitment to creative collaboration within a team and with other departments.
- Adaptability and the willingness to learn new processes and technical skills.
- Relevant degree is not essential, but would be an advantage;
- Knowledge / experience of Shotgun
Nice to Have:
- C or C++ programming Maya plugins, is desirable but not essential
- Strong maths background, especially matrix maths
- A traditional animation and/or art background.
- Unreal Engine rigging experience
- Must have a strong passion for good coffee / tea
- Enjoys chats about films/television/games/music
- Owning a cute pet isn’t a must but would definitely help.
- Must enjoy the occasional laugh during the hectic stressful times and enjoy sharing a good meme or three.
Milk is an award winning, independent visual effects studio based in London (and remotely). We create innovative and complex sequences for high-end episodic television and feature films specialising in FX, creatures and environment.
We have a friendly team, offering a collaborative and inclusive working environment; Milk has employees who have been here since we launched eight years ago because of our excellent working environment, and the fantastic work that we have produced. It’s a great mix of creative and technical people, and that makes it an engaging environment to both work and grow in. We are ambitious and have exciting plans to grow our business.
Interested? Please fill out an application form by clicking here. and we’ll be in touch.